|Preventing fraying on the edges with a zig zag stitch, recommended in the pattern|
I had a few problems with the description of how to put in a concealed zip, I just couldn't get it through my head with the instructions given, but I found a tutorial online to help me instead. I didn't need to use my zipper foot (which was fortunate as it seems to have disappeared), because the zip was pretty snug and flat so I had no problems with getting close enough to it.
|Double-reinforcements for the edges with zig zag stitches on top of the original straight stitches|
I thought the diagrams were really helpful but sometimes I couldn't see how the numbers on the pictures actually matched up to the narrative, which was frustrating. I read the pattern about four times before I just went for it, and it didn't fill me with confidence before I started as I just couldn't envisage the mechanics of what went where, but this is my usual problem with patterns and trying to visualise something on paper in 3D.
So in the end, I did a reasonably good job, mainly down to being really careful about drawing lines to sew along in tailor's chalk before I started. I find these bit so tedious but it's so worth it.
I'll be attempting another couple of projects before I pass the book on to another crafty friend who'd like a go at the beanbag for her little girl. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I totally altered the size of the beanbag, too, to toddler size for Amelia. Now to eBay, to order some beans to fill it!
p.s. I finished One Day and was disappointed by the fact that every single character was pretty unsympathetic, and as soon as they got their acts together - BOOM deus ex machina and radical/cop-out ending (which my mum tells me the Americans wanted the writer to ditch for the film - reassuring as it wasn't just me then).