Wednesday 20 March 2013

Pom Poms for Post Boxes


Okay, so we're all fed up about the changes to the prices and structure for sending UK parcels which are coming into being on 2 April.  And amongst the main concerns are:

  • It's damaging to internet-based UK businesses because it will cost customers more to receive their items and maker/sellers more to obtain their goods if they shop in the UK for their supplies
  • Multi-tiered rates are confusing and difficult to gauge
  • Most people aren't aware of the price changes, especially if they don't use the Post Office or its website frequently
  • The service we receive for our money is not getting better, in fact, for me, in 2013 it has been significantly worse than I've ever known it to be

 
I've been wanting to do a bit of craftivism for ages, and I'm particularly enthused by the success of the #imapiece campaign, and I have a whole bookcase full of oddments of wool which have been waiting for a project just like this.  I love the iconic post boxes that we're so lucky to have in the UK and have secretly wanted to dress them up for quite a while, although a full suit of body armour is a little more than I have time for right now, and I really really really can't stress enough about how I don't want to impede Royal Mail staff in doing their everyday job and collecting the mail.  So I thought that a good way to show our appreciation of the service, would be to dress up post boxes with garlands (strictly around the top of the post box, not blocking the slot and certainly not over and around the little door that our postie friends open to get out the mail) - made of pom poms or fabric oddments - and attach a little tag with a brief note about why we're doing it.  All on the 2nd of April, the day the price changes are due to come in. 


I've set up a facebook page where you can pledge to get involved, post photos of your creations and join in the chat about how best to deal with the forthcoming changes.  I'd love to see you over there,and please share the link with your friends: http://tinyurl.com/pompompost

Feel free to grab and share my photos, or make some better ones of your own!  Oh, and the excellent blogpost by vividplease can show you how to make pom poms soooo quickly, without a single fiddly cardboard circle in sight - I made all the pom poms in that picture in 30 minutes.  I decided to string my pom poms on a length of french knitting but a single or plaited strand of thick wool or string would do just as well.  Come on, get involved!

0 comments: