Monday 17 December 2018

Zero waste wrapping

Cast your minds back to my #livelagom personal shopping experience and you might remember I bought a couple of packs of tea towels, in limited edition VINTER 2018 festive colours.  Which just happened to match my mum's kitchen decor.  And a pack of paper twine.

Here's what I did with them:





Choose a gift - this idea works great with square or rectangular gifts like books or gift boxes.  Bonus points if your packaging can be reused, recycled, or avoids single-use plastic.



Centre your gift on the tea towel and wrap it neatly around.  For extra crispness, you could iron the tea towel before you do this bit, or like me, you could skip that step.


Fold your corners in, just like you would if you were wrapping with paper.


Grab your (IKEA, of course) scissors and that fantastic paper twine.


Cut a length that will pass around your package at least 3 times.  


Pass your twine under the front middle of your package, and then cross it over on the back, to hold your corners in place.  Then flip it over carefully.


Tie a knot on the front to hold everything together.  


You could then add one of my faux glitter gift tags (click through to my shop here) and tie the front with a bow - any excess twine you snip can be saved for future projects, or dropped into your recycling bin.

Of course, this same technique works really well for shapes which would be challenging to wrap with paper... Here's another of my #livelagom surprises I'll blog about in a future post...



0 comments: