Thursday 22 December 2011

Christmas is coming early!

Well, it looks as though Christmas is coming early for me this year!  I think at least a few of you will know that I am a huge fan of Huey Morgan, having spent most of my maternity leave dancing around the kitchen to the songs he played on his show on 6music while covering for Lauren Laverne last year.  The fact that he is an ex-Marine from the Lower East Side does not hurt, but the reason I absolutely love to listen to Huey is that he knows so much about early hip hop and basically the late 70s/early 80s New York scene.  One of my very favourite films is The Last Days of Disco, and that era is Huey's era too.  He tells stories about bands, and places and music in a way that is passionate without getting to the point of ranting.  That, my friends, is a rare skill in the world of the modern music enthusiast.
Flyer for our evening shindig, designed by Leslie Hamer of unlesssomeonelikeyou.com

Lauren has a regular feature on her programme called 'Memory Tapes', which I absolutely love.  She asks listeners to email in with the track listings from CDs or tapes or playlists from times gone by and then gives them a call to chat over how said collection came about and so on.

When I was starting my holidays last weekend (before I got my awful cold), I decided for fun to send in the playlist I made for our wedding reception, back in 2009.  During last Friday's show they announced that they were looking for Christmassy compilations, so I duly wrote on the bottom of my email that the collection of songs was not at all Christmassy but then I told a fairly dull anecdote about a night out one December and a one-man karaoke performance of the Band Aid single, which I hoped would make up for the lack of festivity to the list.

Well, I guess it did.  Because they are going to play five of my songs tomorrow morning and Huey will be having a little chat to me at about my playlist at 10.40am.  Tune in online or on your digital radio or your telly if you can.  Who wouldn't want to take over their favourite radio station with their own choice of music, and chat to their favourite DJ about the best day of their lives?  Thanks for the best Christmas present ever, 6music!

I really really hope I am not bumped from the schedules now I've told everyone it's happening...


2 comments:

Trekky said...

A very cool looking flyer! Good luck on 6 music tommorrow - I am at work and will not be able to listen :( I too enjoy listening to Huey, perfect Sunday listening.

ps) I once spoke to Steve Lamacq on 6 music, where once I told him what I did for a living, he did a Mark E Smith impression! (i'm a pharmacist).

Girl_Industries said...

BRILLIANT! We had There's a ghost in my house on our playlist, I wonder if they'll play that one tomorrow :)