|Handmade mobile, a Christmas present for my baby nephew|
So you know when you finish work for the holidays, and there's so much you have to do, and you've been putting it off because you know a job badly done is worse than a job done late, and you have a full week with childcare to take care of it all once you finish work, so you don't stress or worry about it too much? And then you get the flu?
Yes. This happened to me. So I've been dragging myself out of bed only to pick up and drop off the baby, my early-ish pre-Christmas organisation came in very handy because at least all the presents and most of the cards were sorted. But the things I had planned to do like finish off some handmade presents, sort out a pre-Christmas sale in my etsy shop, catch up on the blog (I have so much to show and tell that I've been working on/looking at/admiring out there in the world of handmade!) and think ahead to next year's NEW PRODUCTS (two out of twelve actually finished and made, one photographed, sigh....), have a big sort out of the craft room etc., have all been bumped. On top of this I've had some SERIOUS problems with the people who were supposed to be at least attempting to sell my flat, and need to spend most of tomorrow sorting out a new estate agent. I also have a huge event to plan, make stock for and prepare for which is yikes - only really about six weeks away, and I've had the grand sum of ONE conversation about a collaboration I'm doing for a new product especially for this event.
Gosh, I feel bad even sitting here and typing this when I could be doing something more productive. Although as you all know, procrastination is my friend and I've already spent the morning putting away laundry, picking up flea treatment at the supermarket for the cats, stacking the dishwasher and ahem, having breakfast and a read of the local paper in McDonalds.
In the spirit of getting things done, here are the main things I want to catch up with you lot about.
- Some of the handmade Christmas presents I made - I was in such a flu-fogged panic that I didn't even take a bloomin' photo of one of them before I managed to get it in the post on Monday morning, so I'm hoping the recipient will take one on Christmas morning.
- The sale I'm planning for the etsy shop, I've decided to clear out a lot of older products to make way for new things.
- I'm also planning to destash a lot of the designer fabric I have, as well as a few bits and bobs of haberdashery. As part of this, I will discuss my rule about fabric, to which I have NOT been adhering and the ensuing crisis of conscience that this involves.
- The zine exhibition in Salford, at which I took one or two sneaky photos of Amelia which may or may not have had my zines in the background, naughty naughty
- The special event that I am preparing for which I will have to talk about A LOT, and the exciting collaboration I've been working on especially for this event.
- The new zine I've been planning - I still need to make my spreadsheet of who is writing about what, but as I only really have about 10 or so confirmed volunteers and no submissions yet, please do get in touch if you fancy having a go. I haven't written anything yet either.
- Issue 8 of the Answers on a Postcard is so nearly ready to print it isn't funny BUT what is even less funny is that I need to reformat the files for printing which is driving me bananas even without flu-related brain fog.
- I need to have a 'getting things finished' drive in the New Year. I have unfinished projects I have been working on since I was pregnant in 2010. And before. This is not going to be tolerated in 2012. If any of you would like to join me in a 'get it finished' challenge I want to see one thing finished by the end of every month. I want to see before and after photos. I want to feel your shame and your elation so I know I'm not alone!
- I want to do better at blogging and keep on top of things next year. I want to buy a small digital camera that I can fit in my handbag during the January sales to help me do this. I LOVE my DSLR but boy is it a pain to cart it around. My old 2007 issue digital camera is pants and will be traded in to help fund this.
- I want to hit 200 sales in my Etsy shop in 2012. I also want to be stocked in another couple of outlets either online or b&m as I have had such good experiences with the wonderful Ethics Girls and Vertiline in Love. I have a couple of ideas for 'exclusive' ranges for shops which fancy taking on some of my work and a couple of shops in mind that I'd love to work with...