Friday 1 June 2012

Oh Colin Murray

Every week I read the freesheets Stylist (mainly aimed at women) and Shortlist (mainly aimed at men) on my commute.  I like them because they are light reading, they keep me up to date on what's trendy at the moment in terms of colours and how to spend one's disposable income, often feature local restaurants and shops even though they are national titles and often feature interviews with people from the creative business community. 

I was all fired up to write a slightly tongue in cheek but still a little bit angry blog post about this comment from Colin Murray in a recent article.  I like Colin Murray, I once sat behind him on a flight from Glasgow to Heathrow and he was very gracious in saying hello to a lot of male 20-somethings on the plane who recognised him from an event he'd DJed the night before, and did not freak out or think I was a stalker when we both arrived at the baggage carousel in JFK a few hours later.  He also gave away a holiday to Hawaii to a friend of mine, on one of his TV programmes, which makes him alright in my book.

Photo of The Shortlist, 23 May 2012

But to lump in craft markets with charity shops?  And think it's a place you go to find bargains and haggle?  Oh, Colin.  Dearie me. 


Imagine my surprise when the balance was redressed a week later with this piece featuring Grayson Perry and Tracey Emin, explaining what they would do if either were made Queen for the day.  Phew!  The craftspeople of the nation, ambassadors for British design, can escape with reputations intact.
Photo of The Stylist, 29 May 2012

0 comments: